Sunday, 18 December 2011

Handmade Monday: Christmas wreath

Looks like we won't be having our tree up this year as OH's refusing to get it out of the roof...too unsafe with a nearly one year old (boo hiss to the pantomime villain).  However, a few weeks ago he did produce lots of holly for me in case I wanted to make decorations.

So i decided to try and make a wreath.  The hardest part was finding a frame (we seemed to have no wire coathangers to use).  In hindsight I should have paid the extra and got hold of a moss-type frame, but instead eventually found a wire circular wreath frame.

As well as the holly (I used 24gauge craft wire to attach), I had some silver fir cones and coloured bells which I filled in some gaps.  Then hung it over the door using one of those brilliant hangers (discount shops rule!).  I'm really pleased with it for a first attempt...looks great from a distance, although there's a lot of gaps and wire showing up close.

I have to say I don't think I'll make another one in the future - shredded my hands far too much, and I'm not sure how long it will last.
Check out the other Handmade Monday posts here, the last until the new year.

15 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful though!! Well done. Have a great Xmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas wreaths are so beautiful. You did a very good job. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good! Have a great Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very nice :-)

    Boo to the OH. Make him dress as a Christmas tree and stand him in the corner of the room. I'm sure next year he'll get that tree out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I am so glad I found your special place here. Thanks for sharing. I will follow on my way out so as I would love to visit again. I hope you will find the time to come visit my place and do the same. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to engaging and supporting your blog in the New Year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fab hanging on your door. We won't be having our tree up either this year as it is in her loft and hubby has just had an operation so can't go climbing up there and I have broken my wrist and am in plaster. Have a nice Christmas and Happy New Year to you . Hugs Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  7. it does look lovely - hope those shredded fingers recover soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that idea Stephen! Think that could work.

    Mrs A - we'll be treeless together. Hope you and hubby are back on fine form soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely wreath, sorry to hear you won't have a tree (we have to tie ours to the door handle to stop the cats pulling it over!)

    Have a wonderful Christmas

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww such a shame you can't have a tree this year! I love your wreath - I too wanted to make one using a metal frame but couldn't find one so ended up using a big circle cut out of cardboard, and hopefully it'll last forever. You can see it on my blog today.
    Enjoy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks really good, I wouldn't know where to start with making one of these. Merry Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wreath looks lovely, well done.
    Best wishes for a brilliant Christmas and a wonderful 2012.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your wreath is so pretty! I didn't put up any decorations this year as we are having the cabinets in the kitchen refaced. They were supposed to be done right before Christmas but now aren't starting until the 27th. Oh well! :)
    Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks really good - at least you have one up!
    Have a lovely Christmas,
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your wreath is lovely. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete